Mid Week Missouri River Fishing Report June 28th
We’ll give you the bulleted list today on the Headhunters Fly Shop updated fly fishing report for June 28th.
Lots of folks around and sunny skies have all smiling. If you have not made your reservation and think you want to come on out and enjoy? You may be too late for this June or early July. Great opportunities for the second half of July and August. September is always nice and the fall period is one of our favorites. Call today for all the info on lodging, guides, rental boats, demo and rental gear etc. 406-235-3447.
- June is great.
- PMD’s abound. We are on the latter side of the hatch. They will not last forever but they are still a daily concern. 3 weeks left of great concentrations? Maybe.
- Caddis are on the water and good. Spent caddis, skittering caddis is what Jim in the photo above got that fish on, emerges, Translucent Pupa’s, soft hackles, or anything that lies in the film is cool.
- Yellow Sally’s in the canyon and sometimes beyond. Sometimes on the upper too. You can get a few on this bug but not always a big player out there. Worth picking up a few at the shop if you are without. Honest.
- Trico’s. Yesterday saw the first signs of the ubiquitous Trico. More on the way. Get it out of your bag and keep that box close. Spinner of course. More daly for the next two months on the water, in the air, falling at 9am, and certainly more here on the only daily here on the Mighty Mo.
- Ants. Yes.
- Terrestrials on the way too. Hoppers later in the summer. Chubby’s? Small ones? Yup. Toss ’em. Not out, in the water.
- Flows? Falling daily. Scheduled to be just above 6K today. More on this site and on the FB page as we get the newest info. As we stated in this very blog, no flushing flows, and falling to wade fishing levels in late June. Facts here, not rumors…::Wade fishers delight. They are already sniffing around. En masse starting today? Certainly around the 4th of July.
- Tons of folks on the water. Get out early or stay out late. Or put in lat morning., Just do the opposite of what other anglers are doing and you can find your own piece of fly flicking heaven.
- Headhunters is your fly source on the Mo. Of course you should shop all of the shops here on the Missouri, then come in and find the best in flies, transparent info, free river maps, rental boats, the only SIMMS full line dealer, Sage, RIO, Hatch, Orvis, Galvan, Loomis, Echo, Dr. Slick, Abel, Redington, Howler Bros., Headhunters wide selection of logo’s items including hats and T’s, Epic Glass Rods, FenGlass Rods, Nautilus, ice, lunch orders, RV sites, the largest variety of riverside lodging, and so much more at the fly fishing eli-center of Craig Montana. There is a reason Headhunters in year 10 has become the trusted source of all things Missouri River.
- Open early before 7am and open late for afternoon shuttles, hilarity, fun, information, fly suggestions, a shoulder to cry on…til at least 9pm daily.
Enjoy your hump day out there and at your desk fantasizing about rising trout. And, thanks for reading!