Missouri River Fishing Report 12.5.17
A short and sweet hit today on the Headhunters Fly Shop Missouri River Fishing Report 12.5.17
- Water Temps stable and should be for a while. No foreseeable drop in nighttime air temp for thru the middle of the month. Currently 39F. Not dropping too fast at all. 36F is the winter number that we will achieve in the new year. Let’s hope it stays level for the month. Good fishing at 39F.
- Water levels in the mid 4K’s. More water than we’ve had in the winter for some time. John and I speaking the other day, maybe more than in the last 5-10 years. Is this good? Yes. More water is good. The water managers are getting rid of some water to prepare for the anticipated good snow winter and the temperatures are supposed to be colder than normal as well.
- Boats around on the weekends. Quite a few. Not too many during the week. Wade anglers too. Again, more not he weekends. Come on out and enjoy the river in the off season. It’s wonderful.
- Shop your ass off at your favorite Destination Fly Shop in Craig Montana. Headhunters. Christmas is coming quickly. A few good items here.
- Still fishing from Holter Dam to Pelican Point. But of course you could take the long road to Cascade too. But, really why would you this time of year. You could get trapped in the cold and wind on that reach and screw yourself. It’s alright out there.
- Nymphing sometimes slower than the swing. But if you are gonna nymph bring your pink fly selections. Sows are still on the march along with Czechs, Firebeads, Ray Charles, Zebras and the like.
- Streamer anglers enjoying a good bite still. The fish will move for a well presented streamer fly. The fish are pretty happy as not too many boats are bothering them. Leeches, white, yellow, black. But that will change by the time this report is published in 4 minutes. Stop in the shop or give us a buzz and we will relay the latest info. A bundle of streamer fly lines in stock if you need to change your game. Never a bad time for a new fly line.
- Swingers are having a ball too. Fish in thin water and with the overcast they seem to be kinda bitey. Find shadows later int he day and monopolize the situation. The NEW GARY ANDERSON RODS are in the shop and we have a couple demo’s. Try them. The staff is digging them for sure. Just tossed the 2wt that Guide Eric Mondragon has and it was a jewel. Quite nice.
- We have a number of 2-4wts spey rods in the shop for your testing pleasure. All the way from our most popular Trout Spey Rod the ECHO TR2, the ACR’s, and the Sage ONE Trout Spey rods. A wide variety of fantastic rods for your swinging needs. All of the lines too from RIO, SA, OPST, and Airflo. Tips, leaders, and all of the ancillary gear too. Stop in for a mind blowing experience.
- Headhunters open daily 8-5. Your Holiday Source in Craig. Enjoy your week!