November is one of our favorite months. Why? Well, as you know we’ll tell you. A list of the things happening during this early winter spell.
No people. Very few anglers. If it is at all above 30F we have some good ‘ol locals fishing. Locals and regional folks get after it in November and December, and anytime the mercury is above that 20F mark.
More overcast days. The percentage of overcast days is great that nearly any other month in the Missouri River calendar. Fish like overcast days. They do not have eyelids and cannot squint. Streamer fishing is much better. The trout can lie in the shallows for longer each and every day. The fish like to get up on the secondary shelf and feed. Both for the dry and the streamer attack!
Shorter days. Later starts. Both of those things get us fired up. The steaming hot cocktail tastes even better after a good November day on the water. Izaak’s is closed for the season. You will have to get your Hot Toddy @ Joe’s.
Headhunters Fly Shop and Guide Service open daily @ 8am. Open all day long all 7 days all winter long til 6pm. The full service shop open everyday.
Headhunters is your Swing Season Headquarters in Craig on the Missouri River. HH is your Trout Spey Destination. Call or stop in for any questions about lines, preferred spey trout rod lengths, demo rods too.
Want to learn about the Trout Spey game? It all starts at HH of Craig. Call and we will begin helping today! 406-235-3447
Craig Trout Camp in Downtown Craig
- Craig House. $350/$450 Sleeps 6 anglers. 3 BR, 2 bath, large kitchen fully stocked with all you need for cookware. Lots of room to stretch and a couple nice leather couches to watch the Sunday game on Satellite TV, BBQ too.
- Brown Trout Cabin. $195/night for up to 3 guests. 2 beds, one futon. Satellite TV no kitchen. BBQ avail if you need.
- Rainbow Trout Cabin. $195/night for up to 3 guests. 2 beds, one futon. Satellite TV no kitchen. BBQ avail if you need. Just like its neighbor Brown Trout Cabin.
- Ask about other Craig rental properties and winter discounts. We are your 12 month lodging booking experts.
A good time to book your 2022 Fly Fishing Vacation. Choose the best in lodging @ Craig Trout Camp and CraigLodging.com November is the time to get this done. The best selection for both guides and certainly river housing. Browse and choose today. Get your fishing vacation in the books today.
Lots happening in the next month or two. Lots of fishing to be had for you regional fly fishing folks. Lodging, guiding, clinics, and your favoirite destination fly shop. Black Friday is coming soon. Don’t forget to pick up a couple gifts while in town. We got everything you favoirte angler might need.
Streamer Fishing is popular this month. Come on in and see the acres of streamers@ Headhunters. We have all you need for tips, streamer lines, streamer info.
Hot flies for the month have been the good old black bugger. Coming back hard is the trio of Skiddish Smolts. Beth’s Britches, lots ‘o leeches, Zonkers still damn good, Micro Zonkers really fantastic. The other side of the coin is the large fly. Yes, for you large fly lovers…we got ’em @ Headhunters.
Along with the November Streamer bite is the perpetual shit hot nymph fishing. All winter long. Get used to it. Months of the bobber. For the best info on the river with the fishiest staff in the tri-county region stop on in for our tips for nymphing success.
Not pink yet, we got another month or two. Scuds, sows, along with the tiny micro may stuff and midge pupa.
The Missouri River is a dry fly river. Not a ton of excitement as of late, but today is damn cold and snow is in the air. So today it could change. We will let you know tomorrow how things are going.
Missouri River November Fact Sheet
- Shuttles Daily. Headhunters is your 7 days a week fly shop in Craig.
- Guides available every day of the year
- Fresh flies. Always @ Headhunters.
- Winter Lodging available. 5 properties right in Craig for rent. The largest summer seasonal selection of lodging on the Missouri with 39 properties! Accommodations for 1-12 anglers.
- Swing Season is in full effect. Stop in for all you need in the two handed arena. Casting Lessons and Guide Trips available.
- Open 8-6 Daily. Call for an up to the minute fishing report 406-235-3447 or 877-DRY-FLYS