Missouri River Spring Tips
Why not include the Missouri River Spring Weekend Tips in the fishing report? Yes, we do help you out here on the Headhunters Fly Shop and Guide Service Fishing Report from the information leaders here in downtown Craig Montana.
Cooler weather this week including lots of snow with light winds this week. Should be really great fishing out there. Swinging, stripping’s and the dry fly game will be played.
The rest of us are out there fishing it up. And it is breaking open. Rainbows on the spawn, don’t tread on redd please, and the brown trout are responding by eating the big fly.
Headhunters Spring Tips
- Start early or start late. Don’t be in the mix. If you want some sort of solace on thriver. Get out early and beat the rest of the gang, or hold on til noonish and fish the late shift. If you like to be out there when the winds and air temps equalize, you are interested in the dry fly session.
- PINK is still the word. BWO’s are coming on strong. Pink, scuds, sows, and BWO nymphs rule the day.
- Enjoy the center of the river. Begin to learn the wonders of structures not including the bank lines. It’ll do you good.
- The streamer bite is good. Swingers are hooking up a bunch as well. Some in faster water than the nymph eaters. Lots of the shop staff and our guides out this past couple weeks having resounding successes. Faster insides and tossing at the banks have produced some nice fish.
- Canyon is good. The entire river is fishing better than it usually does in the spring. Water temps have made it all pretty decent. Some have been down to Cascade already. Meaning several.
- Don’t fall into the trap of only fishing the fastest good looking water. Water temps are still below 40F. But creeping upwards. Recognize that fact and fish locations accordingly. Watch where folks are hooking up and emulate that kind of water type.
- Dry-Dropper can work even now. Adams, and a BWO T-Headed long dropper.
- Swing a soft hackle in gentle moving waters. BWO’s yes. Hand twist a midge pattern? Certainly.
- Dress warmly. Still a bit of winter in the air in the am’s and pm’s. Good sale rack at HH with some killer winter holdovers.
- Headhunters open daily @ 8am and open late too til at least 6pm.
Enjoy the winter like week we are having out there and hook a few trout!