Monday Morning Missouri May 9th River Report
Truly as good as May gets. This is the call, that many like us to call, if the fishing is great. Well, We are not gonna call you, you gotta opt in. This is the call that fishing is great, and you should book a guide trip, or a shuttle, or lodging, or hitch-hike from Timbuktoo to be here. Last week was epic.
- Flows 3K.
- Temp 46F.
- Baetis hatching yes.
- Midges hatching yes.
- March Browns sort of, in some spots.
- Nymphers using brown and olive mayflies on the little side. Sows, scuds, worms, midge pupa. Mostly short and mostly sans split.
- Strippers small and flashy.
- Swingers leeches in brown and black and olive. Softies too for mayflies.
- The entire river is fishing well. Not as much pressure up top. Most are canyon bound. So, understand the flow and make your plan accordingly. Shuttles daily.
- Lodging, guides, the Best Flies Under the Big Sky, lots of new stuff daily from SIMMS, Skwala, NRS, Howler Brothers, Sage, RIO, Orvis, Steelie Zips and so much more. Your One Stop Fly Shop on the Mighty Mo.
- Open daily at 8am. 406-235-3447
- Headhunters in Craig is your Entertainment, information, education and customer service leader on the bank of Montana’s Missouri River.
- Dearborn River flows above 300cfs. Looks like a 4 day window of floating this weekend, and today? The annual opener is next Saturday May 21st. Keep your eyes on the graph!
I use a Scout 270 grn and light iMOW tip for streamers. I am wanting to skate Mouse and am looking for a floating tip to use on Scout for this application. Do you use floating poly direct to Scout, or, do you use a floating fly line tip followed by either a short floating poly or hand tied leader. Dont want it to be clunky.