5 Tips for Late June Fishing Montana’s Missouri River
June is a favorite month of dry fly anglers and nymphers alike. Great PMD hatches with daily opportunities for casting dries at feeding trout and bobbering a few up with Frenchie’s and Split Cases.
Enjoy your Friday and weekend. Coll weather on tap, again. Was real nice this week. More summer to come next week!
- Approach the trout like you want to catch it. Rushing in is bad. Those who are careful, understand the objective, get better results.
- Slack line casts are good. Not too much slack, but enough to allow the fly to drift as if there is nothing attached to it. Like tippet. Reach Casts are good.
- Clean your fly lines daily. Dry Fly anglers and nymphers alike. Only if you want the best in fly line performance. We like the RIO Fly Line Cleaning Towellete for quick uses. Come into the shop for several fly line cleaner selections.
- Get out and wade fish. Stalk quietly. Down and across is the most common approach. Fly first.
- Swing a soft hackle? Fun. Try something new. Stop in HH of Craig and get a few softies to spice up your weekend.
Be kind out there. Lots of anglers from watersheds that have, too much water. Go figure. Would’a never guessed this outcome in our Montana mountains and streams in 2022. Goes to show that we, you, and even the good weather guessers would’a guessed.