The HEADHUNTER FLY LINE
A TECHNICAL DRY FLY LINE WITH POWER AND FINESSE
We designed the Headhunter Fly Line with the goal of building the perfect fly line for our casting and fishing conditions here on the Missouri River. During peak dry fly seasons, success requires that you deliver your fly with accuracy, power and finesse at medium to long distances. Downstream presentations using a variety of slack line casts are also required. On top of that we live on a windy river, and your line needs to defeat that wind on every cast. Over a year went into the design and testing process, and we think we came up with the perfect line for presenting small flies on long leaders. While we designed the Headhunter Fly Line for the Missouri River, it will perform great anywhere technical dry fly fishing on big water exists.
- BIG SKY CAMO – Stealthy light gray/blue color that mimics the atmosphere, making it less visible to trout from below, but easily seen by anglers from above.
- PERFORMANCE ZONE – 15’ Lime “Performance Zone” helps an angler identify where the line picks up easily and performs the best while false casting or executing reach and slack-line casts.
- DELTA TAPER – The long “delta’ taper has always been our favorite design, but nailing the proper grain weight and balance can be a trick. Our taper possesses enough mass up front that you can feel the line load and turnover long leaders at shorter distances. But when you want to stretch it out, it with maintain a smooth and tight loop without ‘wandering’.
- OVERSIZED RUNNING LINE – The Headhunter Fly Line is not designed As a distance shooting line. It’s designed to deliver the fly at 25-60’ accurately. So we built the running line larger than the typical weight forward fly line. This helps reduce tangles, increase handling characteristics, and aids in ‘sending’ or ‘feeding’ line after the cast.
- ADVANCED TECHNOLOGY – We designed this fly line with our friends at RIO, and it has all the great features that RIO has developed over the years, including a super slick coating, non-stretch core, high-float tip, and welded loops at both ends.
- A TINY REMINDER – We love fly lines and use a lot of different ones over the course of the season, so we MUST have the line model and weight printed on the line! Not only did we print the model and weight, we added one of Mark Raisler’s dry fly motto’s to remind you not to drag that Trico through the pod!
- NO BOX SAVES YOU BUCKS – For a small fly shop like Headhunters, a fancy box represents a significant to cost to us and our customers, so we decided that ‘no box’ is the way to go. It’s also better for the environment! (We would love to get rid of the plastic spool, but there’s really no other way to keep the line properly wound up and transfer it to the reel without making a mess.)