Missouri River Labor Day Weekend Fishing Report
Good reports from most coming into the shop int he afternoon. The Missouri River Labor Day Weekend Fishing Report looks pretty promising. Good decent not too hot weather with light winds and a party in Craig to boot!
Today we give you the bulleted version of the Fishing Report.
Good Fishing, bordering on damn good.
- Nymphing continues to be good. Anywhere from the top to the bottom. Bigger fish up top, smaller as you head to the canyon, and then big and sparse as you drift toward Cascade. Flies that the nymphers love include the worm, Crayfish or ‘dad, rubberleggers, the ever popular Little Green Machine, Two Bit Hooker, Frenchie, Radiation Baetis, S & M, and a bundle of wonderful slender bodied mayfly nymphs. Zebra’s too! Some roaming in circles at the dam. Others making a single pass heading downhill.
- Techy Dry Fly? Not too good. A few here and there. Better for those who know the river well. Those who do are heading to likely feeding lies and looking hard. Decent Trico hatches with some participation. We are in week 11 of the Trico hatch. Another long one as we predicted. A 2nd year in a row with a generous Trico session. These fish are hard. Present quietly with some sort of super stealthy techy patterns.
- Streamer fishing quite good. They are showing up and commanding some respect. Smaller traditional patterns like buggers, leeches, smaller honkers, and the like are a good bet. Of course the usual suspects are on the menu too. Find the right water with the fewest subsurface weeds and have your way with them. Or tease a few. Either way a good day spent wearing yourself out.
- Weather will cool down. Near 90F today with temps in the 70’s Friday and Saturday with no chance of rain and light winds. Perfect fishing weather. 50’s and rain on Monday. I bet we see our first big Pseudo hatch Sunday or Monday. Bring it. Then cool through the next week. Fall coming early? That is what we have spoken about whilst chatting around the coffee-perker.
- Browns and Brews Fest Saturday. Come on down and taste fresh craft beers from Red Lodge Ales, The Mighty Mo Brew Co, The Front Brewing Co, and Eagle Beverage will bring an assortment too. Live Music on Izaak’s Log Jam with House Band Rocket to Uranus. A crowd Craig favorite and fun time dancing too. Live Auction at 6pm.
- Big Sale at Headhunters as we clear out the clutter. Demo Rods for sale cheap. Both single and 2 handed rods on the chopping block. Rods from Orvis, Sage, Echo, Sweetgrass Bamboo, Epic Glass, and more. Soft goods discounted to 40% and more.
- Half Price Fly Sale Saturday Only! Fill your fall fly boxes. Winter too. Get your Swinging Flies at Headhunters!
- Historically a family weekend so the river is not usually terribly busy. Take advantage of the last weekend of summer and spend it in Craig. Izaak’s open for fantastic BBQ and the nightly specials have been over the top this season. See what Tye has worked up in the drink special department too. Last weekend Mojito’s. This weekend?
- Headhunters open 6am-9pm through the holiday weekend. Need a guide trip or boat rental Saturday before the Beer Fest? Give us a ring and we will set you up. Most who visit the Missouri River stay with us too. www.CraigLodging.com is the site to see. We have the largest selection of rental properties by a long shot, nearly double what the competition represents. 20+ properties on the site. Have a look and give us a call.