We survived, and you, the weekend again. Rain, cool air temps, and some sort of sleet at one point kept anglers cooler on Saturday but as it warmed Sunday to nice blue skies and nearly 70F we all breathed a sigh of relief. The wind was around as it generally is.
Our successful Spey Clinic hosted by Mike McCune and Whitney Gould wrapped up as well and those who attended are better casters for it. Casting education is important for both single and two handed casters. It allows you get to closer to the fish. No?
Missouri River Montana Fishing Report
The water clarity below Craig is diminished. The viz in Craig is about 2 feet. The tribs are all over the board and has affected the water conditions. Will this rain and threatening snow this week change the outcomes? Maybe.
Check out the forecast below and across the page here for your fishing window. If you are looking forward to summer fishing, book now for best availability. The peak season guides and lodging options are now gone. If you like the June and July periods, early booking is imperative.
Missouri River Hit List
- Water Temps 46F. May move up this week, or stay flat if the weatherman is being honest.
- Water Flows 8640cfs this morning. We think, we think they will be stable.
- If you are drinking beer today, make it Mexican. It is Cinco de Mayo. We like Pacifico.
- Water Viz. Little Prickly Pear is puking mud. It comes, mixes finally in Craig, at Sterling. 2 foot in Craig. Below Stickney about the same, maybe less. Below the Dearborn, less again.
- LPP is running at 429cfs.
- The Dearborn is running at 852cfs.
- Worms in the mud can be deadly.
- Sows are still hot.
- Firebeads do not fall from grace until June 1st.
- Split shot is cool. In some circles.
- Check out Mark Raisler and his Nymph Line article on the RIO Blog.
- Baetis nymphs have their moments. Have some at the ready for subsurface fun.
- Izaak’s is killing it. Rave reviews from our guests. The calamari is the app of choice. The BBQ Sampler with Ribs, Brisket, adn Pulled Pork for dinner. Homemade Ice Creak for dessert. Open daily @ 3pm, 4pm for dinner.
- Dry fly guys are not as happy. Only a few scattered fish on the rise. Again evenings are proving to be best. Anemic baetis hatches this last weekend did not help things.
- Streamer angers are coming in happy. White is the word. Today? Could be yellow. Can’t beat black though. Or can you?
- Need a sink tip, Versi Leaders, sinking leaders, a MOW tip, a new streamer line? We got ’em. Over 10 streamer line options in stock for your depth finding mission.
- Headhunters Logo gear flying out the door. Check it!
- Headhunters Fly Shop open daily @ 730am. Open late for any odd questions, concerns, new fly lines, nymphing primers…etc.
- Thanks for reading the only daily fishing content in the tri-county area. We appreciate it. We like to make anglers smile. Angers like you.