The fishing report is as follows today on the Headhunters Fly Fishing Blog and Fishing Report Page.
Missouri River Montana Fishing Report
The old adage again comes into play as we state to many that the fishing is..as good as you are.
Truth here at Headhunters.
We have fallen off of the July Cliff. When I believe that less pressure will be seen on the river for the next 6 weeks. The smoke has reduced the number of anglers in our starter and here on this river,
The wild card is the other resources. Will we see anglers from around the state visit our river as restrictions elsewhere are tightened? Maybe. Time will tell.
Trico’s are the morning game. Good stories of success with emergers and duns. Spinners continue to work well here as they always do. Try a Trico Cripple for sneaky shit. Not many roll that way. Cluster Midges as a Trico Cluster can work as well. Double wings, Harrop’s Hi-VIz, Harrops CDC Spinner, and many more. Not having success with the Trico pattern fishing over Trico feeding fish? Try a Caddis. Do it.
Scant amounts of PMD’s around and the spinner fall is the key for angling success and fly choice. Or a captive dun. Or a floating nymph.
Caddis in the evening are your best bet. The PED deal is going on occasionally too. Spents, emergers like the Translucent Emerger or Pupa and a soft hackle too. LaFontaine loved the evening hatch here on the Mo.
Hoppers are happening. Some greenish small fella’s on the shore. A Red Legger works. Pink and Purple return again this summer as the primary goto colors.
Ants? Beetles.? Yes to them as well. Spruce moths out there too. See the most in the early mornings. Fishing it blind can provide some action.
It is a morning game The dry fly fishing has been going into the tank about noon. Some days til 2 or 3, others if the bugs go North with the South wind can end before noon. Hope and look for perfect summer breeze-less days for spinner and junk feeding longevity. But, do not forget about the golden hour too!
5 Tips for Late July Success
- First cast is the best cast. For the DFO Army. Always the best cast. Only if you want to fool them.
- Nymphers find weedless water for sanity.
- Fish live in the weeds. So do the bugs. Maybe you should too?
- Prepare some conversation pieces for slow fishing. If the fishing is good, save them on 3″x5″ note cards for easy access at a later date. Or a long, long, long lunch.
- Fish in the am, then sleep. Perfect. A cocktail squeezed in at Izaaks and a plate of Walleye and Chips! I like the Wings too. Delicious.
- Clean your fly line a lot. But you already know this tip!
Shop open at 530am daily for any of your river needs. We have the new NRS Dodger in stock and for sale. Just awesome. Come by and see it.