Cinco De Mayo Missouri River Fishing Report
A different approach to the fishing report this Mexican Holiday. A few observations today from this past week of events, fish, and the shop.
- Early May is a good time to be here on the Mo. Lighter traffic for a couple weeks until the summer session kicks in. One of our favorite months. May can be just great. More dry fly opportunities present themselves daily. BWO’s, March Browns, Mother’s Day Caddis, and Midges are all on tap daily. Some reaches better than others.
- Late afternoons have been good. Mornings have been good. Mid-Day not so much.
- Sighting fish yesterday afternoon I saw good populations in the 18″-36″ depth in medium to medium slow water well off the bank in the later afternoon. High bright sun too. So don’t disregard some o that skinnier water as the day progresses. You may find some good ‘bows in that sort of stuff.
- Lots of bigger browns coming to the dry as well this last week or two. That will continue through the month into the PMD in use. Big browns love the early season hatches like the March Brown, MD Caddis, and PMD’s.
- Why not blind fish the dry. A good option for good people.
- Nymphing is great in late April and May. Rockstar kind of stuff. Sometimes.
- As always, try new water. It is good for your fishing soul.
- A good day for Corona and a good Tequila in the boat. Or stop in Joe’s, Izaak’s or the O in WC for a shot.
- Izaak’s open daily sans Monday’s @ 3pm and for dinner until 9ish.
- Headhunters open @ 7am and late til 8pm for all your Montana Trout Fishing needs. Open first and open last. Stop in and say hello.